Monday, October 13, 2008

Hiking to the ends of the Earth



Okay, I'm behind as usual. A few weeks ago on a beautiful Saturday afternoon I decided to get a little activity. I suggested the hike at the S-Curve in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I've seen parents with their toddlers walking to their cars, so I figured it must be an easy hike. WRONG! Don't be fooled, those parents were probably just making their children pay for misbehaving in some way and time out wasn't cutting it. I see that the hike is about 2 miles. I don't stop to think that it's basically uphill! We still go on against my better judgment. I'm stopping every now and then and thinking I really should have brought my inhaler and more water, but I'm determined. I won't give up! If a Hobbit can do it, so can I. After over an hour of hiking and listening to Adam saying "are we there yet?" I ask someone coming down if we are almost there. I'm very discouraged to hear "You're not even 1/4 of the way." Jerk. Mark and Ashley probably could have gone on, but I was done. We decided to turn around and the downhill hike was much more pleasant. One of these days I might go back, but for now, I've learned my lesson. Stay nice and cozy on the couch enjoying your day off with a bag of Hershey's kisses. But, I guess that's why I should hike....what a vicious cycle. At least it was a gorgeous view that day!

4 comments:

Janessa said...

I can totally hear you saying every part of this entry! I love it! Some of those hikes are insane! I'm glad you put forth the effort but didn't try to overdo it. What a fun day!

Melissa said...

Stupid hobbits.

Tina said...

hahaha maybe you should have had
2nd breakfast before going.

Mel said...

Yeah, I think it's the second breakfasts and the elevensies that prevented me from finishing!!

The Arents Family

The Arents Family